HISTORY


 

 

ORIGIN OF SAN LUIS


        The town of San Luis formerly called “Balibago” was among the southern barangays of old Taal. Accordingly, it was named Balibago  because of its proximity to Balibago River which separates San Luis from Taal, and the river  was so called because of its ever changing  course which is vernacular means “pabago-bago”. 
 
         The early inhabitants clamored independence from Taal. The secession movement reached its peak leaving the Municipal  Government of Taal no alternative but to divide Taal into three: one division so called San Genaro, now Lemery; the second to be called  Balibago, now San Luis, and the third remain Taal. Unfortunately, the agricultural economy to Balibago does not warrant self sufficiency,  hence Balibago lost her independent status and once again, in 1904, was integrated to mother town Taal.
 
          Nourished by strong desire and determination, the independent ideals remain among the inhabitants, Low economy was never a barrier for them to continue the struggle to regain the lost independence. Pioneered by Aquilino Badillo, Mariano Diokno, Ambrocio Hernandez, Anselmo Lasala and Andres Medina, nourished by the brilliance of Justice Ramon Diokno and Atty. Vicente Illustre whose contribution, we people of the present generation acknowledge; the inhabitants succeeded in their fight for independence. Hence, in February 2, 1918 the independence of San Luis was regained.
 

RENAMING OF THE TOWN


        When San Luis becomes a town in August 25, 1861, the barangay name Balibago remain. However, when February 2, 1918, the town regains its independence from the old town of Taal, it was named San Luis to commemorate the first time of its secession from Taal and become an independent town in August 25, 1861 on the feast day of Saint Louis.
0

We have 48 guests and no members online